In the late fifties a sense of a united Europe and a need for Our Lady’s protection began to emerge by people throughout the continent. Unaware that this devotion already existed locally, the emerging movement decided to place a statue of Mary in the centre of Europe.
A 20 meter high monument was erected in Valchiavenna -2000m above on the Dolomite Mountains, in honour to Our Lady of Europe.
The gilt bronze statue was sculptured by Casagrande Eigidio. This was commented by L’Osservatore Romano. The sculptor found inspiration in the features of Our Lord reflected in the Shroud of Turin.
The monument was blessed by the then Archbishop of Milan on 14th September 1958.
The statue rests on the towering centre of the horseshoe shaped monument. An Altar stands below the monument.
Today it fosters a spirit of peace by conferences and prayer.